Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blog 23: 2014 Interview

1.  Who did you interview and what house are they in?

Name: Felicia Stears
House: East

2.  What ideas do you have for your senior project and why?



       I'd like to do something with parasitology, specifically medical parasitology because 

I've always found parasites interesting and how they can affect the human body. Although 

I'm running into a problem with finding a mentor so I might just do something with 

veterinarians instead. I've already found a potential mentor for that who would be up for 

taking me on.

3.  What do you plan to do for your summer 10 hour mentorship experience?


        I plan on volunteering at a veterinarian's office and shadowing them while they 

work. I'd be able to see how these doctors deal with patients who have serious infections 

and how those patients have been affected by their infection.

4.  What do you hope to see or expect to see in watching the 2013 2-hour presentations?


      Honestly, for the presentations I'm hoping to get a better idea of what exactly it is 

overall and sort of what direction I should go in. I'm hoping that they'll have some science 

and health related presentations. I remember on my shadow day I watched one and it was 

about general-surgery, which I found very interesting.

5.  What questions do you have that I can answer about senior year or senior project (or what additional information did you tell them about senior year or senior project)?



Felicia: What sort of activities did you do for the different kinds of hours required?

Me: Well to sum up the senior project in terms of hours, there are 3 components that require you to get 60-70 hours of work done. The first one is the summer component, which requires you to attain 10 hours of volunteer work or shadowing. You have to be able to contact and keep a mentor, because if you do come to choose the topic you looked into for the summer component, you may need them for the rest of the year. The summer mentor and topic you attain aren't permanent. The purpose of the summer component is to look into different topics for your senior project. You also have the Independent Components, which are worth 30 hours minimum for each one. With those, you are required to have a mentor if you plan on working with them to count as credit for the component. The main purpose of the 2 Independent Components are to learn something new on your own while working or to apply what you've learned to make a final product. For what I did personally, I worked for 10 hours at Radio Disney during the summer. Later on in the year, I produced a series of radio programs while learning and working under my mentor for my 1st independent component. As for my 2nd independent component, I reviewed radio programs and produced radio programs using technical tips I've learned from the reviews and my mentorship.









No comments:

Post a Comment